I heard a quick update today...and it's about as representative of what we deal with as almost any example I can think of.
The surgeries have been scheduled for several months to take place at a hospital in Xian. Our Eagles Wings babies took the train to Xian on Tuesday to do their pre-op workups and wait for the medical team from Tennessee to arrive. The team left the US on Monday, arrived in Beijing on Tuesday and will travel to Xian today. So far so good.
EXCEPT...that the hospital has now (today) refused to allow the surgeries. WHAT??? I can't imagine the discouragement and frustration of all the organizers and team members. But with a real sense of purpose and determination they quickly went to Plan B and arranged to do the surgeries at a hospital in Yulin, about 660 km away (about 400 miles for the Yanks). The Eagles Wings babies have already been moved and resituated; the eleven babies from Xian (who remember were never supposed to have to leave town) will now be moved to Yulin very shortly. The surgeries will start this weekend as planned! Hooray!
And that's how things go in this wild and wonderful world of special needs orphan care. No wonder I am so so anxious to get there!
Donna
Director, Eagles Wings
No comments:
Post a Comment